As we seek to deepen and expand the holy work of welcome, inclusion, and celebration of LGBTQIA+ people in the church and society, we can find ourselves asking, “What does LGBTQIA+ mean?” Together we will co-create a safe space to learn helpful skills and tools to support you and your ministry.
The Let’s Talk About SOGIE training and “Lutheran Introduction to Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, & Gender Expression” are complementary resources, to be used side by side in your learning of language, and ways to extend hospitality to our LGBTQIA+ siblings. The training is great for those who are hoping to support their faith community in ongoing education, or for individuals who have an open heart and mind on learning more about God’s diversity of creation. The training is 1.5 hours long, and held online through Zoom in real-time; registration is $35 per person. If you are hoping to join as a group to attend the training, all in attendance must be registered prior to the training date.
February 29, 2024
May 2, 2024
May 30, 2024
SOGIE Trainings will take place from 2:00 PM - 3:30 PM CT.
Registration will close at 12:00 PM CT the Tuesday prior to the training.
Zoom links and training details will be emailed once registration closes.
- Practice hospitable curiosity to create a safe and inviting learning environment for all
- Trainers will practice and model Graceful Engagement in support of LGBTQIA+ people
- Honest conversation about how honoring LGBTQIA+ identities is holy work
- Gain an understanding of why LGBTQIA+ work matters in church and society
- Learn the difference between a person’s sex assigned at birth, gender identity, gender expression, and sexual orientation
- Understand how specific forms of hospitality can have a big impact
- Engage in Action Mapping to create a plan for actions and next steps, as well as reflect on what they have learned and how it impacts their lives and ministry