ReconcilingWorks celebrating PRIDE 2023 with you!
As an organization centered on the care and liberation of people of all sexual orientations, gender identities, and gender expressions, we know 2023 has been a challenging year for the LGBTQIA+ community. As more and more states are expanding their discrimination against LGBTQIA+ people with a primary focus on transgender students, ReconcilingWorks knows just how important the voice of people of faith is in sharing their support!
This year's worship service was created in partnership with Rev. Margarette Ouji (she/hers) (they/them), pastor at First Lutheran Church in Montclair, NJ, and Leon LaCross (he/him, they/them, pastor of Bethel Lutheran Church in Portland, OR.
As we prepare to celebrate PRIDE month in June, this is an important time to affirm and advocate for the LGBTQIA+ community. ReconcilingWorks has worked to create resources for you and your faith community to use to celebrate PRIDE and also speak up and advocate for LGBTQIA+ people.
Let this PRIDE 2023 be a time for us all to see the ways the Divine is embodied in our beloved LGBTQIA+ siblings and recommit to the work of justice!
Did you know 90% of the financial support for the RIC program is made possible by individual gifts? As we celebrate PRIDE it is an important time to affirm and advocate for the LGBTQIA+ community. Now is a great time to give and deepen your relationship with ReconcilingWorks. Together with a financial gift you and ReconcilingWorks will partner to support people of faith as we use our voices to speak out against discrimination. Make your gift today!
As people of faith, our support of the LGBTQIA+ community is more critical than ever. As more states double down on LGBTQIA+ discrimination, your voice and the voice of your faith community have a tremendous impact on the safety of LGBTQIA+ people. LGBTQIA+ do not have federal protections for public accommodation. This means it is up to individual cities, counties, and states to create nondiscrimination laws and policies based on gender identity and sexual orientation. What this means is that LGBTQIA+ people can be denied access to simple things like having a bakery make their wedding cake or photography for their wedding. It also means more impactful access to essential accommodations like housing, life-saving medical care, and access to skilled nursing facilities. This PRIDE, take the time to utilize the following ReconcilingWorks resources to support you in the holy work of justice:
- Online Trainings - such as "Let's Talk about SOGIE!"
- Lutheran Guide to Advocate for LGBTQIA+ People in Church and Society
- Reconciling Scripture for Lutherans - On Sexuality and Gender Identity
- Bathroom Bills Frequently Asked Questions
- Letter to the Editor Guide
- Religious Freedom & Equality Act Frequently Asked Questions
ReconcilingWorks will be sharing PRIDE-themed prayers on our Facebook and Instagram. These prayers can be found in the Google Drive folder with other worship material to better assist you and your faith community in lifting up the needs and voices of the LGBTQIA+ community. Be sure to reshare ReconcilingWorks’ posts to join in the community celebrations!
As you look to make your month of PRIDE as welcoming and celebratory of our LGBTQIA+ people, take a look at our PRIDE 2023 worship resource! Resources will continue to be added as June 2023 approaches. Fill out the Google Sign-Up HERE, to get the following:
- PRIDE 2023 Worship Resource: Join in celebrating God’s creation through a PRIDE 2023 worship service. Enjoy a recorded sermon and children's message brought to you by Rev. Margarette Ouji (she/hers) (they/them). Let this be a time for continuing advocacy and justice as people of faith and renewal of our commitment to deepen and expand our welcome.
- PRIDE Guide: Preparing for your local Pride festivities is important if you hope to be a visible presence in your community through parades, booths, or other celebrations taking place during PRIDE. Check out the helpful tips and support through ReconcilingWorks' PRIDE Guide.
- Virtual PRIDE Guide to Worship: Creating a virtual space that is both welcoming and hospitable to LGBTQIA+ people is key to a successful PRIDE celebration. For those who are worshipping virtually through Zoom or other online faculties, check out some helpful tips from ReconcilingWorks to make this PRIDE special.
- Children’s Ministry: Including opportunities for engagement of all ages during PRIDE is a helpful way to honor the fullness of LGBTQIA+ people. ReconcilingWorks has added a handful of children's ministry activity sheets.
Wear your PRIDE on your sleeve this PRIDE by purchasing a shirt or sweatshirt! ReconcilingWorks has over a dozen designs to choose from to help you share your support of LGBTQIA+ people and your commitment to justice. The proceeds of these shirts are used to deepen and expand the ministry of ReconcilingWorks. Order yours today!
Created originally for the ELCA Youth Gathering, ReconcilingWorks hopes these displays can be used throughout PRIDE (or all year round) to display these images in your narthex, fellowship hall, or throughout your building as an education piece and conversation starter. Download your free display here! These images are best suited for 17 x 11 prints.