A Building an Inclusive Church (BIC) training helps you design and implement a journey for your faith community to publicly and intentionally welcome people of all sexual orientations, gender identities, and gender expressions. Building an Inclusive Church equips you with ways to create dialogue, deepening relationships throughout your faith community rather than sparking debate and division.
You will have opportunities to engage through a mix of presentation, hands-on practice, and small group discussion. Many of the tools you will learn come from faith-based relational organizing. Grounded in scripture and discipleship, this training allows you to explore your own Christian call to hospitality and evangelism. The training is centered on the Building an Inclusive Church Toolkit and includes the tools of Graceful Engagement, the One-to-One Visit, Setting the Frame, Strategic Storytelling, Scriptural Engagement, and Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, and Gender Expression.
Drawing upon over thirty years of experience within a variety of Christian denominations, the Building an Inclusive Church toolkit is a step-by-step guide to help facilitate a welcoming journey in your faith community and extend a specific welcome to people of all sexual orientations, gender identities, and gender expressions.
Upcoming Building an Inclusive Church trainings:
- Bloomsburg, PA (May 17-18, 2019)
The Table - DOWNLOAD FLYER
- Seattle, WA (June 7-8, 2019)
Luther Memorial Lutheran Church - DOWNLOAD FLYER
- Omaha, NE (August 23-24, 2019)
First Lutheran Church - DOWNLOAD FLYER
If you and your ministry setting would like to host a Building an Inclusive Church training, the following dates are the available weekends for the ReconcilingWorks 2019 Calendar: July 12-13, September 20-21, and October 18-19. If you would like to schedule a BIC Training, please reach out to the ReconcilingWorks office at (651) 665-0861 or email us at Info@ReconcilingWorks.org.
Hosting a Building an Inclusive Church Training is easy. Here is what ReconcilingWorks required of BIC hosts:
- Provide a room equipped with a projector or TV screen where 15-20 people can meet around a table or tables. A BIC training runs from 6 to 9 p.m. Friday and from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday.
- Provide hospitality for Friday evening (Coffee, water, a snack) and then hospitality on Saturday including a soup and/or sandwich lunch for training attendees.
- Advertise the training to community members and Lutherans in your Synod. ReconcilingWorks requires at least 15 registrants one month from the training date. An advertisement flyer is provided by ReconcilingWorks.
For more information or to schedule a BIC training, contact ReconcilingWorks at (651) 665-0861 or email us at Info@ReconcilingWorks.org.