Their welcome statement reads:
We receive and share new life in Christ, by inviting ALL to build the body of Christ
We name ourselves as Reconciling in Christ partnering congregation, which means
1. St. Matthew explicitly welcomes people of all sexual orientations, gender identities, and gender expressions” or “LGBTQIA+” We name our commitment to racial equity or anti-racism.
a. This means we are open to calling an LGBTQIA+ and Black, Brown, Indigenous, Person of Color (BIPOC) Rostered Leader. (Although we do not currently have a pastor of this description.);
b. We allow our community space/sanctuary to be used for LGBTQIA+ weddings and blessings;
c. Will make a meaningful contributions annually to support the national RIC program.
Our Guiding Principles:
At our best you will see us…
• Devoting ourselves to following Jesus’ example of love and empowerment
• Actively caring for one another with the love of Christ
• Reaching out to build new relationships, wherever they are to be found
• Welcoming and inviting ALL people into a life of faith
• Proclaiming God’s constant love and hope in a changing world
• Engaging God’s world with a spirit of wholeness (Shalom)
1. Build relationships with area residents through ministries of empowerment to be a more visible and invitational presence.
2. Minister to children, youth and their families through education, advocacy and support in the church and in the community.
3. Cultivate a spirit of discipleship and hope through dedication to issues of social justice, fairness, and advocacy in order to strengthen the congregation’s ministry.
St. Matthew is an intentionally diverse community of people where you can learn, live and grow as a disciple of Jesus Christ. Please contact us and share how the God who raised Jesus is calling you to draw near.“
Learn more about St. Matthew Lutheran Church at: http://stmatthewitasca.com/