FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Lutherans Continue to Work for LGBT Full Inclusion at August ELCA Churchwide Assembly in Orlando
WHO: Lutherans Concerned, an advocacy group within the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), participating under a banner of Goodsoil. Lutherans Concerned/North America is the fiscal agent for Goodsoil.
WHERE: ELCA Biennial Churchwide Assembly, Orlando World Center Marriott, Orlando, Florida
WHEN: August 15-19, 2011
WHY: The work for full inclusion of LGBT Lutherans in the life of the church, and the society the society lives and works in, is not done. In our society, bullying is a ubiquitous oppression affecting victims, perpetrators, bystanders and society. Bullying is contrary to a Christ-centered life.
WHAT: Goodsoil’s presence and activities include:
– SUPPORT FOR ITS ANTI-BULLYING LEGISLATION before the assembly, passed by 39 of 65 ELCA synods, to keep especially youth of all ages safe, regardless of sexual orientation and gender identity
– DISTRIBUTION OF STORIES, REFLECTIONS ON BULLYING, and devotions, booklet, available to the media in pdf format, embargoed to August 15
– ANTI-BULLYING CURRICULUM designed for adult issues/education sessions, available from August 15
– FESTIVAL WORSHIP SERVICE, Marriott Grand Ballroom 8 AB, in addition to the assembly worship services, Goodsoil will hold a celebratory evening worship service on Wednesday, August 17, to lift up the continuing need for full inclusion. Bishop Richard Graham, Metropolitan Washington, D.C. Synod of the ELCA, presides. The Rev. Dr. Shauna Hannan, homiletics professor at Lutheran Theological Southern Seminary, Columbia, South Carolina, preaches
– ENGAGEMENT WITH ASSEMBLY VOTING MEMBERS and church leaders to continue education about LGBT issues and moving the historic policy changes by the 2009 Churchwide Assembly from policy to practice
– PRESS AVAILABILITY for interviews: Executive Director Emily Eastwood, Co-Chairs of the Board of Directors Rev. Chris Berry and Nicole Garcia, Board Members, Regional Coordinators, and members of LC/NA. Contact Phil Soucy, firstname.lastname@example.org, 703-980-2038
– GOODSOIL CENTRAL, sign-posted throughout the convention area, a meeting place, source of information, and education space located in the Orlando World Center Marriott from Monday through Friday of the assembly
Goodsoil is working for full inclusion of LGBT Lutherans in the life of their church and is comprised of ministers and laity of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA). Lutherans Concerned/North America (www.lcna.org) is the fiscal agent for Goodsoil.
About Lutherans Concerned:
Working at the intersection of oppressions, Lutherans Concerned/North America (LC/NA) embodies, inspires, advocates and organizes for the acceptance and full participation of people of all sexual orientations and gender identities within the Lutheran communion and its ecumenical and global partners. LC/NA is based in St. Paul, Minnesota