Reconciling in Christ (RIC) Resources
The Reconciling in Christ (RIC) Program is for congregations, synods, colleges, seminaries, and other Lutheran organizations. Lutheran communities that publicly welcome lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people are accepted onto the Reconciling in Christ Roster which now exceeds 600 settings. Most groups start the process of consideration by engaging in a study program or series of educational meetings. Hearing the experiences of LGBT people and their families often creates greater understanding and insights. Here are additional resources as you journey as a community:
- Reconciling in Christ Frequently Asked Questions
- “We’re already welcoming! Why do we need to be RIC?”
- “Lutheran Introduction To Our Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, And Queer Neighbors“
- “You’re RIC! Now what?” – COMING SOON
- Sample Affirmation Statements
- Reconciling in Christ Banners
- Enrich and Transform: Welcoming LGBTQ Candidates into the Call Process This guide is offered by our partners at Extraordinary Lutheran Ministries (ELM) in response to congregations and synods who have asked for resources to help open their doors more widely to the gifts of LGBTQ leaders in our church.
Beginning the journey:
Visit the Institute for Welcoming Resources for a wonderful free resource called “Building an Inclusive Church: a Welcoming Toolkit.” Drawing upon over thirty years of experience within a variety of Christian denominations, this toolkit is a step-by-step guide to help facilitate a Welcoming Process in your local congregation. Biblically and theologically based, it uses tools of relational organizing, congregational assessment, conflict management, and change theory. Visit our resources page for other free educational resources to accompany your community’s journey.
1. Have a vote
After completing a program of education, discussion, and mutual discernment, a congregation, synod, or other organization joins the by having its council (or equivalent body) approve the “Affirmation of Welcome” or by having a vote of the whole congregation.
2. Send us your affirmation
After the Affirmation is adopted, mail, fax, or email us a letter with the approved Affirmation on your faith community’s letterhead asking to be added to the RIC roster.
1669 Arcade St. Ste. 2
St. Paul MN 55106-1054
3. RIC Profile Survey
Fill out this RIC Profile Survey. A staff member will be in touch with you to review the survey and answer any addition questions before your congregation, synod or organization is added to the roster of RIC participants. The RIC roster is displayed on our web site and is distributed appropriately as a witness to the community and the church at large.